The Foundation Stage Curriculum
The Foundation Stage curriculum is divided into seven areas:
- Communication and Language – opportunities for children to express themselves, speak and listen.
- Physical Development – opportunities for children to be active and interactive, and to develop their co-ordination, control, and movement, as well as their self-care and healthy food choices.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – building and maintaining relationships, self-confidence, self-awareness and managing feelings / behaviours.
- Literacy – encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to learn to read and write.
- Mathematics – opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, addition and subtraction and to describe shapes, spaces, and measures.
- Understanding the World – guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community.
- Expressive Arts and Design – enabling children to explore and play with a wide range of media.
At Sky ACE Academy, we will use the synthetic phonics program ‘Read Write Inc’ (www.ruthmiskin.com). This a highly successful, cohesive and creative approach to teaching children to read and write and is used by many schools up and down the country.